After having an insane work-related nightmare, waking up to
a creepy, Ed Gein-like stare from some weird girl on the plane, and a long wait
in the customs line, I had finally arrived in Melbourne. I stood outside the
international departures gate for about 5 minutes waiting for Danny. I casually walked up behind him, as I do most of my friends when I want to
creep on them, and said, “Who’s that beautiful man.” That could have
potentially been awkward had it not been him, but the risk was worth it. When
he turned around and I realized it was him, hugged, made small talk,
and then decided to do what all Melbourne visitors should do the second they
get there—have a Melbourne coffee.
Melbourne has amazing coffee, so we went to a place with
great coffee and great breakfast food. The place was in a neighborhood just east
of the Melbourne CBD. I sat down
and it was then that it hit me, “I’m here… and I’m on vacation…not working.” I
think the waitress thought I was a lunatic because I can only imagine what
the goofy grin on my face must have looked like. I was elated. She brought our
lattes over to the table, set them down, and I took my first sip. It was REALLY
good. I couldn’t believe how good it was. It was like losing my virginity, and the result was the same—instant
orgasm.
I stopped drinking coffee for a really long time because you
can’t find many places in the US that sell a decent cup, and I’m mostly unwilling
to compromise. The waitress was surprised when I said that it was the best cup of
coffee I’d ever had. She giggled, blushed, and thanked me for the compliment.
It may have been the simple fact that I was in a different country, but the cup
of coffee really was damned good. I’ve had a
lot of good coffee, but I don't recall a latte even being THAT amazing.
So after rediscovering my strange and intimate love for
coffee, we went and had an early afternoon beer at a place called Naked for
Satan. I was sold on the name
alone. It’s a cool spot that overlooks the Melbourne skyline and has few, but
good beers. We sat outside catching up for a while, then decided to take off
and drive around the city for a bit. It was a good… fucking…. day, and I wasn’t
at work. Life is gooooood.
No comments:
Post a Comment